Life Lessons

A few years back I interviewed my dad for a class I was taking at the time. My dad is always giving me little words of encouragement and offering up gems of wisdom, so I figured I would share it with y'all. It's short and to the point, but maybe it's something one of you needs to see today.



Q: What would you consider your biggest life lesson?
D: I'd say don't focus on getting to a destination or point in your life - whether it's getting married or having a particular job or getting a degree and getting out of college. Life, as cliche as it sounds, really is a journey and not a destination. You should really just enjoy every day and make the most of every single day, because when you get to those destinations, they often aren't as exciting as you thought they'd be and they won't make you as happy as you think they will.

Q: How do you stay positive when things don't go your way?
D: You know... I just don't get too down when things are going bad and I don't get too happy when things are good. How could you appreciate the sunshine if it never rained? I try to remember not to give up or get depressed when things get hard because it will pass.

Q: How do you feel about getting older/aging?

D: I feel that [aging] is part of the process. People complain, but quite frankly, it beats the alternative! You either get older or you die. Getting older is all about life experiences. Sure the physical part isn't great - not being as agile, sharp, whatever - but having those new memories to talk about is always wonderful!
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate reading each of your comments and I always reply to comments either by email (if you have one) or in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by!