2 Articles on How to Care for the Postpartum Mom



Recently, I have read some alarming articles on how America is the most dangerous place to give birth in the world for developed countries. This is likely due to the risk of hemorrhaging or having a stroke, and not to the actual act of giving birth. Based on my own experiences as a nurse who works on a postpartum unit, I find some of the articles I've read to be extremely shocking and scary, but I've also seen the truth in them as well. I've seen and taken care of the hemorrhaging mom. I've called a code on moms with extremely high blood pressures, as well as moms with scarily low blood pressures. I've noticed the changes in my patients as they've developed magnesium toxicity, or how their vitals and symptoms indicated a possible pulmonary embolism.

What scares me most is I've seen and taken care of the patients mentioned in the following articles. I've called the doctor and told them I don't feel like their patient should be discharged. I have had to give my assessment and nursing judgment on critical patients by phone, only to have the doctor take hours to come visit the patient I'm very concerned about. I've had patients that I felt shouldn't be able to go home due to my fear of them stroking out due to such high blood pressures - like some of the women in these articles - but the doctor discharged them anyway.

One thing I always do before sending my moms home is go over when to call the doctor - high blood pressures; pain, heat and swelling of the calves; mood swings and uncontrollable crying; severe abdominal cramps; clots larger than a ping pong ball; etc. Since so many new changes are occurring to these women's bodies, I want them to know exactly what to look for, and when exactly to call the doctor or go to the emergency room without hesitation.

I can only hope that when the time comes for me to become a mom, I have nurses and doctors that are advocating for me and my health as much as I do for my patients now.

Must Reads:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-world/hospitals-know-how-to-protect-mothers-they-just-arent-doing-it/507-577603291

https://wtop.com/local/2018/07/dangers-of-childbirth-us-sees-many-deaths-even-after-baby-arrives/

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate reading each of your comments and I always reply to comments either by email (if you have one) or in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by!